Send mail to us at
P.O. Box 46, Glastonbury, CT 06033

Visit us at
1944 Main St., Glastonbury, CT 06033

860-633-6890
FAX 860-633-6890

The early schools of Glastonbury, CT

GLASTONBURY’S EARLIEST SCHOOLS
By Susan G. Motycka

Susan G. Motycka, President of the Glastonbury Free Academy, past President of the Historical Society, and Co-Chair of the Education Committee is a life-long
Glastonbury resident, as were many of her forebears.

The Church-Run System

   When Glastonbury petitioned to become a separate town in 1693, the Colony of Connecticut required that a minister be hired, a Congregational Church built, and an Ecclesiastical Society established. All religious concerns were the responsibility of the Minister and the Deacons. The Ecclesiastical Society, also known as the “Town Men” was entrusted with the town finances. The Ecclesiastical Society approved the selection of the minister, determined his pay, managed the town property, conducted town business, set taxes, and was responsible for educating children.  READ MORE
Copyright © 2015 - 2025 by The Historical Society of Glastonbury


Home
About HSG

HSG Membership Benefits

Join HSG

Business Sponsorship

Board Members and Staff

Volunteers

Rentals

Contact Us

Newsletters
History

Timeline

Industries

People

Architecture

Early Schools

Historic Districts

Old Town Hall
Museum

Current Exhibits

Projects

Facilities Updates
HSG Events

Meetings

Walking Tours

House Tours

Special Themes
WSW House

Current Displays

WSW House Events
Store

Books

Booklets

Stationery

Photo Reproductions
Links